The SAYiT LGBT+ Inclusion Kite Mark is a quality assurance accreditation award for service providers which has been developed to create a positive and welcoming environment for LGBT+ service users, staff and volunteers.
It aims to address some of the barriers LGBT+ people have to accessing services and to strengthen and develop services relationships with their LGBT+ service users and wider communities.
“89% of LGBTQ people said they would feel more confident accessing a service which displayed an LGBT kite mark”
LGBT+ Inclusion Kite Mark and Covid-19
We know that victims of Domestic Abuse are particularly at risk during this period and the support from services is even more valuable. This makes it vital that support is there for LGBT+ victims/survivors.
Whilst we cannot award the final Kite Mark to any services during this time (as it requires an onsite visit), you would be welcome to start a Kite Mark application, or to continue to work towards your Kite Mark award. Please make use of the Call It Out project to support you to do this.
If you haven’t already done it, these are some especially important criteria to work on at the moment. We can help you with any of these – let us know what you need
• Ensure the website/social media effectively communicates that the service is inclusive of LGBT+ people
• Gender neutral language is used when taking calls/online chat – to make it clear that you are not making assumptions of the caller’s gender identity or the gender identity of the person from whom they are experiencing abuse/control.
• LGBT+ specific resources are available e.g. does your service know what Galop are still offering, which LGBT+ groups are still offering support? See Call It Out Covid -19 webpage for resources – this is currently being developed so keep checking in with it for LGBT+ resources
• Ensure your service is proactively promoting itself through LGBT+ online spaces/online communities – so people know you are out there
Look after yourselves, especially at the moment. Many thanks for the vital work you are doing on the front line. Let us know how we can support you.
Being awarded our SAYiT LGBT+ Inclusion Kite Mark enables you to send a positive message, with confidence, that your service is a champion of LGBT+ inclusion where LGBT+ service users, volunteers and staff will be safe, supported and included.
Following successful completion of training and assessment, the service will be provided with:-
- Certificate of achievement
- Window stickers to display in your premises
- Digital graphics pack with logos and images which can be displayed on your website, email signatures, letterheads and promotional literature
- Inclusion in SAYiT’s online listing of accredited organisations
- Draft press release which you can customise and share with local media to celebrate and promote your achievement