- This event has passed.
Sheffield Future in Mind – SAYiT Training Course
November 21, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 4:30 pmFree
Sheffield Future in Mind Training, Sheffield City Council
SAYiT Mental Health and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans + Young People Training Course
Sheffield Future in Mind recognises the importance of promoting good mental health and wellbeing in young people across Sheffield, not just focusing on mental illness and diagnosis. Future in Mind training prioritises prevention and early intervention, as there is evidence that building resilience through to adulthood and supporting self-care reduces the burden of mental and physical ill health over the whole life course.
Research shows that LGBT+ young people are at much higher risk of suicide and self-harm compared to heterosexual and cisgender young people. LGBT+ youth rates of suicide attempts can be between four and seven times those of their heterosexual and cisgender peers.
This half day participatory training session will:
- Present facts and statistics relating to LGBT+ young people, suicide, self-harm and mental illness
- Discuss the context within which LGBT+ young people live their lives
- Address how to build LGBT+ young people’s resilience, self-esteem and emotional wellbeing
- Discuss how to support LGBT+ young people within schools and youth settings
- Address how to tackle homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in schools and youth settings, and how to provide a positive environment for LGBT+ pupils
- Present SAYiT services and support offered
Other Available Dates:
- Tuesday 11th October 2017, 1pm – 4.30pm
- Thursday 19th October 2017, 1pm – 4.30pm
- Wednesday 17th January 2018, 9am – 12.30pm
- Tuesday 6th February 2018, 4pm – 7.30pm
- Tuesday 13th February 2018, 9am – 12.30pm
- Thursday 22nd March 2018, 4pm – 7.30pm
Sheffield applicants can either book on one of the sessions advertised via Eventbrite below, or if you would like a trainer to deliver a session to staff within school (SAYiT can offer sessions in 10 settings at no charge), please contact Liz Wilson at SAYiT, 0114 241 2728, email@example.com or complete the contact form below. To book a place on the Future in Mind training, please use Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/future-in-mind-sheffield-14385778446
[contact-form to=’firstname.lastname@example.org’ subject=’Sheffield Future in Mind’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Contact Number’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]